Posts in Category: Community

T-Nile’s West Coast Style

So this.

This is going to make your day. Your week. Perhaps your life. My pal Tamara Nile has floored and entertained me with this brilliance of parody, like BOOM! Like WHAM! Like POW!

I had no idea what gangnam was until tonight, and I’m still not so sure, but I do know that this shit is FUNNY and clever…

Pigtails & Weekend Reading

Clearly the two go hand in hand.

No? Well around here they do. Some one please…help. These are her first piggies and it’s almost too much to bear. Tell me I’m wrong.

Enter The Singer Songwriter I Fell In Love With

Look! It’s that bearded bass player dude from the band Digging Roots! This is how I remember him from how we met…when he was strumming his guitar, a stranger sitting across from me singing songs with lyrics to make you melt or laugh in earnest at their dark and ballsy ways. (Which, as you will note, dark and ballsy this song is not). Many thanks to our friend  David Sheffield for shooting the video!

On The Move From Misery & Reggie Watts

Since the catastrophic catastrophe (yes, that is INDEED how it’s been), of my hard-drive giving me the royal salute, things have been quiet around here.

Which I had vowed not to do since becoming a full-time writer and all. Suffice to say things are back up and running and I am slowly rebuiling what I lost since my last back-up.

My one word of advice to those of you whose world’s would some to a screeching halt if your hard-drive went BOOM?

Currently Digging On…

Nick Sherman. He’s a fine cross of Ray LaMontagne meets John Mayer, except he’s Anishinaabe – so way better.

I kid.

Or do I?

I was introduced to him at ANDPVA’s last Red Revue at The Sister in Toronto. It was also on this night that I was introduced to the greatness that is Dr. James Luna. If you don’t know about this award winning, Pooyukitchum (Luiseño) and Mexican-American performance artist and multimedia installation artist – you should.

I was lucky enough to have had the Digging Roots time-warp encapsulate him on his way back home from a big tour, wherein he played all night at our neighbourhood block party. Along with DRoots. (Video after the jump!)

Rockstars That Glow

Nick Sherman With Digging Roots

Weekend In Winneway

Ever road-tripped 7 hours, (that’s one way my friends), with two littles in the car? Sure, some of you may have, with perhaps even more, (children/babies). It is not for the weak of heart. Naye.

However. We survived. Rez bound, towards a most lovely place – Winneway, Quebec. The home of one of our very best friends, the band leader of the one in which (the band), that the mister plays bass in. This is a community that we all visit together at least once a year, largely for the community.

Also? It was dang cold in Winneway. Minus 30. That’s some chilly.

This didn’t stop the littles (and the even bigger littles), from partaking in some outdoor snow frolick and fort making.

On Blissdom & Girl Crushes

See that little badge over there? The Blissdom one?

14 days.

2 weeks until I attend my first blogging conference.

Blissdom.

I’m just giving that one it’s own line. Room to breathe and stretch out in all of it’s sparkly magnificence.

Not just any blogging conference. The one where I exhibit at my first show in the U.S. (Y’all cross your fingers for me regarding all things ornery custom officials). It’s the one where I am one of the very few Newbie Community Leaders. It’s the one where I will come together with amazing women. Wonderful mamas. Top-notch business women.

There is so much feeling right now, that I am over-flowing with, concerning attending this conference – that it’s hard to put into words.

Fire Emergency Fundraiser: Please Help The Bielanko Family

Yesterday, one of my editors from the Babbles tweeted, ‘Today is the worst kind of day. Praying for one of my dear, dear bloggers.’

I had no idea what was going on, but I was worried. Now that I know, I am spreading the word over on the Babble’s today. Please visit this post and do what you can to help the Bielanko family pick up the pieces.

The Bielanko Family: Monika, Serge, Violet & Henry. All Safe, Thank the Creator.

VBT Show & Tell Plus Black Friday & Cyber Monday Sale!

I got a phone call this morning that made me feel so darn good. It was a friend, whose little one has an intense, shall we say – diaper rash. She was calling me because this is upsetting. For both mama and tot. Understandably, I’ve been there. She had called her sister in-law who told her to call me. Me? Me! It feels good to know that other mama’s respect and admire me the way that I do them. That my salve is making the rounds amongst family and friends as this sort of miracle product? Sweet.

I’ve put so much research, time and care into mastering this salve. People are telling me to get it certified, (as I use all organic ingredients). It’s an expensive, paper crunching, timely process – but Ima thinkin’ I will. That and my plush toy certification, thingy. Whatever that’s called. Sandy? (<The afore mentioned mama) Sandy also has an Etsy shop and a blog – both of which are awesome and you should check out. Her sister in-law is also a kick-ass business woman, mama and a dear friend – my son Wyndham’s sponsor in fact. She’s a guru baker babe and mighty fine writer. Here and here.

Very Beautiful Things

Full on into the swing of things for Christmas over here. That’s right, Christmas. As many of you know – I’m a retailer of sorts. In that I am a full-time artisan who mostly sells on-line via my Etsy shop. Come the holiday season, the beginning of spring, mid-summer and fall, I do some shows. I’ve refined (shall we say), my involvement from the hot-mess of shows I did last year. Ah, I was such a newbie to the crafting world then! Still am in many ways – but know enough to surmise that the constant vending life is not for me. Not with 2 littles under 2.

So. I have a wish-list of shows that I want to do yearly, and that list is small. To be honest quite a few of the smaller, less organized shows (however amazing to be a part of from purely an artists’ perspective), are a lot of work with very little pay off. I have bills to pay,

Want More ROAR In Your Life?

Subscribe to our Reader's Digest and get our posts delivered straight to your inbox once a week!