MORNING SUNSHINE: BLOOD ORANGE, CANTALOUPE SPROUT AND HEMP SMOOTHIE
Forget about freshly squeezed orange juice. This is what you want. Sunshine in a jar. A refreshing and satisfying way to wake up, this is one of my new favourite smoothies. This baby tides me over till after the kids are on their way and I can make myself a second breakfast because I’m selfish like that I I love to feed my body nourishing things multiple times a day.
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 cups of cubed cantaloupe
- 1 blood orange
- 2 cups of sunflower sprouts
- Big handful of ice
- 2 tbsp flax oil
- 4 tbsp hemp hearts
- coconut / pineapple water
- There are three key ingredients to most of my smoothies. 1 is coconut pineapple water - that stuff can make anything taste good. The 2nd is ice - more than just a few cubes.
- The difference between a super cold smoothie and a room temperature one is miles apart in the yum department. The 3rd key factor to enjoying a damn good smoothie is using a quality high-powered blender.
- Vitamix is the Rolls Royce of blenders and one day, oh ONE DAY. But for now, I have a Hamilton Beach 'smoothie' blender and it works pretty dang good. Smooth and luscious every time.
- As for the instructions on how to whip up this slice of morning sunshine, you guessed it...dump all of the prepped ingredients into the blender and hit it. I never measure the coconut / pineapple water, I just pour till everything is topped up.