SPELT AND COCONUT FLOUR BANNOCK
One of the most delicious quick breads to make, bannock can also be high in carbs and rather generous with the butter (you can’t have bannock without generous amounts of butter!). Not the healthiest of breads, yet still very much loved by many. Including us! It pairs perfectly with soups and stews and I love making it because it’s so quick and easy and doesn’t need to rise!
While spelt flour has the lowest gluten content of all the flours, it’s not toally g-free so if you’re gluten intolerant this might be okay for you but if you’re celiac? No dice. The addition of the coconut flour is used for it’s delicious flavour and texture as well as being g-free.
Even though this bannock recipe is low- carb and considerably healthier than it’s beloved deep fried brethren, we still consider this bread a treat. Versatile and delicious we enjoy it warm with butter (in case I didn’t mention that yet), or butter AND jam, because hello. But most of all we love it best when paired with soups and stews.
I’m thinking of experimenting with smoked wild fish and meat, root vegetables, herbs, cheeses and spices in the future, different variations. Maybe even desserts made with bannock. Probably a full-on gluten-free one too. Until then however, here is the straight up, low-carb, easy-peasy version…
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease (with butter or coconut oil), your baking vessel of choice. I prefer my oven safe circular ceramic bake dish, but I've also doubled this recipe and baked it in a rectangular lasagna pan. Apparently you can cook this in a skillet with tons of lard or oil and/or butter and as delicious as I know that it is - uhm nope.
- Measure out your dry ingredients, adding them into a large mixing bowl. Whisk to sift all of the ingredients together and melt the butter.
- Add in the butter while mixing with a fork, followed by the ice water, forming the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough ball onto a lightly (coconut), flour dusted surface and knead (gently), 8-10 times and pat into a 2 inch thick circle.
- Place into the greased baking dish and bake for 30-25 min., depending on the heat of your oven.